Sunday, January 22, 2012

Gears (and spindles) turning

I got an unexpected and entirely welcome gift of fiber from Eric for Christmas-- it's Corriedale top, it's the bees knees, and I have ten ounces of it:


As soon as I opened it and stopped grinning like an idiot the gears started turning... according to the wonderful Knitter's Book of Wool by Clara Parkes, "Corriedale makes a smooth and extremely durable worsted yarn."* I started imagining a strong, dense, fine, tightly plied, worsted-spun yarn-- perfect for... SOCKS! I have thus far been immune to the sock-knitting virus, but this stuff really wants to become socks... I'm helpless to resist!

I had no idea if I could actually spin this imaginary yarn, but my sample looks convincing enough:


I'm going to be way too cool wearing socks knitted from my own hand-spun yarn. Just putting that out there.



*Also: "Beginning handspinners love Corriedale because of its pronounced crimp, generous staple length, and ease of handling." So that explains it.

No comments:

Post a Comment